EAR602 Minoan Archaeology
The course focuses on the Archaeology of the Minoan civilization covering a period of ca. 2000 years from the Early Bronze Age (3100-3000 BC) until the end of the 12th century B.C. A historical retrospection of Minoan archaeology considers the pioneer figures and their contemporary successors. The most important Minoan sites and research programs are presented. The origins of social complexity in Crete, documented in Early Minoan settlements and cemeteries, are investigated in relation to the developments that led to the urbanization and the appearance of the palatial system in the early 2nd millennium BC.
A special focus is placed on different facets of minoan society, including palatial economy, architecture, ideology and artistic production. The transition to the peak of the Neopalatial period, when the Minoan presence is expanded in wider geographical contexts, is further examined. Finally, the destruction of the Minoan palaces and the subsequent prevalence of the Mycenaean centers, is examined through its traces in Crete.
The presentation ends with a reference to the elements that indicate cultural interruption and continuity at the end of the Late Bronze Age.
The structure of the course comprises of:
- Minoan archeology: Pioneer figures and subsequent research
- The Neolithic backgrounds
- Architecture, ideology and material culture in the Early Minoan period
- The emergence of the palaces
- Society, religion and material culture during the Old Palace period
- Cretan scriptures
- The heyday of palatial civilization
- Society, religion and material culture during the Neopalatial period
- Minoan presence and exchange networks in the Aegean
- Akrotiri and the explosion of Thira
- Mycenaean Crete
- The end of the Late Bronze Age in Crete
- The modern significance of the Minoan civilization
- Η ιστορία της μινωικής κεραμεικής, Betancourt Philip P. (Eudoxus code: 24553)
- Προϊστορική Κρήτη τοπογραφία και αρχιτεκτονική, Μαντζουράνη Ελένη (Eudoxus code: 24511)
- Οι πολιτισμοί του Αιγαίου. Κατά τη νεολιθική και την εποχή του χαλκού, Treuil Rene,Darcque Pascal,Poursat Jean – Claude (Eudoxus code: 50660327)