YAR403 Introduction to cultural heritage management
Professor: Panagiota PANTZOU
The aim of this module is to introduce students to the concept of cultural heritage and the field of cultural heritage management by providing a historical overview of the field from a global, European and national perspective and familiarise them with the key players (UNESCO, ICOMOS, Greek Ministry of Culture etc). Then the intention is by exploring the international and national legal framework for the protection of cultural heritage, discussing the key issues surrounding the safeguarding and promotion of cultural resources and finally examining the role and contribution of tools and ideas borrowed from the fields of Finance, Business Administration, Marketing and Communication, to advance students’ knowledge in cultural heritage management.
Upon successful completion of the course the students will:
- acquire basic knowledge of cultural heritage management’s historical development, function and basic percepts.
- to be acquainted with national and international laws for the protection of cultural heritage.
- develop a comprehensive understanding of the principles and practice of cultural heritage management as -well as be acquainted with tools and ideas borrowed from the fields of Business Management and Marketing.
- be acquainted with principles and practice of heritage conservation.
- be acquainted with current issues in the field concerning the protection and presentation of cultural heritage.